Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

T.I.A

I hitched into Lusaka last week to post the blog that follows. However, it turns out that the internet cafe was closed due to "lack of internet." Whatever that means, the internets is never down! The following post was written around 10 days ago. Following the blog you'll find a photo series.

/begin post

We have only just returned from second site visit where, if we were lucky, we had the chance to stay a few days. My site is wonderful and I cannot wait to be placed. I am only 3 km off the great north road (yes, there is only one paved road that goes North in Zambia to Tanzania) and only 38 km to the nearest internet connection and I'm just about as far to the nearest volunteer. The final stretch is upon us. It won't be long before we are sworn in as volunteers and we'll no longer be trainees. That said, the journey is only about to begin. Come 24 Semptember, we'll have spent 9 weeks of training, 6 1/2 days per week. Suffice it to say, I am tired... and am anxiously awaiting placement to my permanent site. I am ready for training to be over.

As I begin to reflect on my experience thus far, I have to say that I am glad that I am here in Zambia. Zambia is definitely not the most glamorous of African countries. The transportation is pretty much non existent and what transportation they do have is absolutely aweful. The food is not exsactly the most exciting (but I like it - then again I'm not very picky). Personal space is a foreign concept along with our concept of time. It turns out that waiting in Zambia is in itself its very own activity.

However, if there is one thing that I am certain of it is that the people are just absolutely phenomenal. Zambians are good people, plain and simple. I am constantly in awe of their generosity, genuine good nature, and overall sense of humor. I have been welcomed with open arms time and again. I look forward to the next few months where my time will be spent in community integration where I can truly begin to better understand this culture.

/end post


photos: My life so far


A Zambian wedding. I'm convinced that everyone is born with rhythm.



My counterpart/host dad for my new village of Masamba in the Mbala district (where I'll be living for the next 2 years).



A stones throw from my new home in Masamba. I'll take another once we get the first rain and the slash and burn is done.



Zambians for some reason love to walk in the middle of the road. This is on the great North Road with plenty of truckers driving recklessly...and sometimes drunk.


This is my home for the next two years. Rather quaint and cozy...



This is my host dad, John-Well Silwamba (sic?)

This is my hut. My room during Homestay in Chishiko Village, Chongwe (40km from Lusaka).




5 comments:

  1. I heard that the internet is kept in a black box with a blinking red light on top, so maybe somebody just dropped it and broke the internet.

    Your photos are amazing! Do you share your hut with others? Would you be able to take photos of the inside?

    -Jesse C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "lack of internet" - LOL

    born with rhythm - true story

    Your pictures are beautiful, and you look happy! Stay that way! My wifi is down at the house, but the beach is still there. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite picture is the close up of the the host dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sense a lot of strength and power in these posts. They must come from an OA guide with a fondness for Sapporo.

    Great blog. Taint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why foreigners want to paint our country so poor and ugly. I differ with you, you are in one of the typical villages in Zambia, even in the very area were you are, there are farms that are very well developed. I have seen the poverty in some of the European countries, that can never be compared to my beloved nation Zambia. Please internet is every were in towns, even were you are, you must get an internet bundle with any of the service providers, you will be covered. Thanks

    ReplyDelete