Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Posting

9.28.10
1:45AM Local Time, Zambia

As I write this it is the eve before posting. Tomorrow I will begin the next chapter of my life as I get posted to my permanent site for the next two years. It's hard to believe that nine weeks of training has come and gone and now I'm no longer a Peace Corps Trainee, but a Peace Corps Volunteer. How does one prepare for the journey that I'm about to embark on, for the village life, for the life where the simplest tasks will have to be relearned? I struggle with my thoughts and emotions of what an impact this experience will be on me. I do, however, revel in the fact that a new life awaits me - a life where mistakes will be made and lessons will be learned.

/ [] Schedule of events []

THU 23/9: Moved out of homestay

FRI 24/9: Sworn in as volunteer

SAT 25/9: Travelled 12 hours upcountry the Northern Province from Lusaka

SUN 26/9: Rest day spent at chishamba falls some 30 minutes from the Northern Provincial house.

MON 27/9: Shopping for life in the village (yes, everything!)

TUE 28/9: Posting to permanent site (2 hr journey via land cruiser

//

I'll do my best to best describe the life that I will live. What I do know is as follows:


- I teach people how to keep fish for food security and income generation - that's the gist
- I have no electricity or running water
- I poop in a hole
- I fetch water from a river in 20 litre gerry cans.
- I live in a brick hut with a thatch roof.
- There is malaria.
- My project will on average be within a 20km radius of where I live.
- I have to travel 38km if I want ice or a nice cold coke/beer
- A Trek mountain bike will be my main source of transportation.
- I teach people how to keep fish for food security and income generation.

If you are following this blog and have any questions for me, please feel free to post a comment and I'll do my best to respond to all those questions and give you the opportunity to dictate the direction that this blog will embark on.

No comments:

Post a Comment